Sunday, August 22, 2010

A good Hummus

I love hummus, so this is how I make it. First of all, I do not like to use canned chickpeas, they've got this sweetly, tinny taste that just doesn't do it for me. So I soak dried chickpeas overnight and then cook them gently for two hours in fresh water, nothing added to it.

1 cup cooked chickpeas
1 clove garlic
2 tb tahini
3 tb fresh lemon juice
1 tb olive oil
salt
water

I swirl the garlic in a food processor until finly chopped and add the chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice and olive oil. Then I add water until the hummus is kind of fluffy, season with salt and ta da! The flavorings to add with the garlic are endless: smoked paprika and parsley, fresh jalapenos and cilantro, scallions and fresh jalapenos, cilantro and canned chipotle, cilantro and a touch of curry, just chives ...... And remember, a little goes a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers